Chromecast setup instructions, supported versions and features, and troubleshooting tips.*
This article is on how to utilize Chromecast for streaming content. Chromecast is a media streaming adapter that allows you to cast content from a mobile device (both Android and iOS) or desktop to your TV. This guide covers setup instructions, supported versions and features, and troubleshooting tips.
The following topics are covered:
- What is Chromecast
- Versions supported by AXIS Ref Apps
- Features supported by AXIS Ref Apps
- How to use Chromecast with AXIS Ref Apps
- Troubleshooting tips
What is Chromecast?
Chromecast is a compact media streaming adapter that connects to your TV’s HDMI port, enabling you to cast content from your mobile device or desktop to your TV. It operates on a technology called "casting," where the content is not directly run on the Chromecast device but is instead cast from a compatible app on your mobile device or desktop.
Versions supported by AXIS Ref Apps
- Android: API level 30 and above
- iOS: Version 4.5.3 of Chromecast
Web: Chromecast is implemented for desktop web only, not mobile browsers. Web apps enabled for Google Cast are available on computers running Google Chrome version 72 or later (on Microsoft Windows 7+, macOS 10.7+, and ChromeOS) through the installation of the "Cast extension" in the browser.
Features supported by AXIS Ref Apps
All functionalities of the AXIS Ref Apps are supported when using Chromecast.
How to use Chromecast with AXIS Ref Apps
- Connect Chromecast to your TV: Plug Chromecast into your TV's HDMI port and ensure it is connected to your preferred device mobile device, tablet, or desktop.
- Open an AXIS Ref App and select content: Open AXIS Ref Apps and log in. Browse through the content and select the video you want to stream.
- Cast to Chromecast: Tap the cast icon (located at the top right of the screen) and select your Chromecast device from the list of available devices:
- Enjoy your content: Your selected content now casts to your TV. Use your mobile device or desktop as a remote to control playback.
If you are experiencing issues with casting content to Chromecast, try the following:
- Check Chromecast connection: Ensure that the Chromecast is properly connected to your TV and your mobile device or desktop.
- Check Wi-Fi network: Ensure that both your Chromecast device and your mobile device or desktop are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Update apps and devices: Make sure that your Chromecast device, mobile device, or desktop are all updated to the latest versions.
- Restart devices: Try restarting your Chromecast device, TV, mobile device, or desktop, and then attempt to cast content again.