Learn how to add and manage new custom assets to your asset catalog.*
This article covers custom assets, explaining what they are and how to add and configure a new custom asset.
The following topics are covered here:
- What are custom assets?
- How do I create a new custom asset?
- Adding metadata
- Adding images
- Setting the theme
- Defining the offer schedule
- Specifying related assets
- Saving your custom asset
What are custom assets?
The custom asset functionality allows you to add non-video content that doesn't fit within any of the existing asset types, for example, stars, belts, articles, etc.
Custom assets are the only asset type that can be created in Presentation Manager rather than being ingested. They're represented by the icon.
How do I create a new custom asset?
To add a new custom asset to your item catalog, navigate to the ASSETS menu, then select Items.
- Click the button.
2. Title (mandatory): Enter the asset title here (you can change this later).
3. Click the button to proceed to the next step.
Recording asset information
Once you've added your new custom asset, the next step is to capture specific information about it. This includes metadata, images, and any related assets. These details are added in the same way for both custom and video assets.
On the left-hand side of the page, select a section to display relevant fields in the page body.
1. Adding metadata
When you select an asset from the catalog, the metadata option is selected by default. The asset title is pre-populated from asset creation but it can be edited.
Here you can create additional language variants for your assets, so they can be displayed to users according to their language preferences.
|Within the metadata menu tab, select the button next to the variant tabs to create a new language variant.|
Find out more about variants and segmentation.
With the required variant selected, enter data into the relevant fields:
- Title (mandatory): This field is pre-populated from asset creation; however, the title can be edited
- External ID: A unique alphanumeric, externally-defined identifier
- Sequence Number: Where relevant, this is used to control the ordering of similar assets
- Contextual title: A short title relevant to the parent title. Most applicable to seasons, episodes, or trailers
- Role: If the asset relates to a person, you can select a role from the drop-down menu
- Gender: If the asset relates to a person, you can select a gender from the drop-down menu
- Tagline: Asset subtitle (85 character limit)
- Sub Type: Select from the drop-down menu, if relevant, to provide more specific information about the custom asset. The available sub types are set by Administrators. If no sub types have been defined for this asset type, then the field is hidden.
- Badge: Use this to draw attention to specific assets, e.g., "New season" (20 character limit)
- Short description: Brief description of the asset (256 character limit)
- Description: Full description of the asset (512 character limit)
- Genres: Select from the drop-down field or create a new genre
- Sport: If applicable, select a sport from the drop-down list or add a new entry
- Broadcast date: Select a broadcast date and time for the asset
- Keywords: Used to support SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and external content tagging for rule-based lists. Type to search for existing keywords or create new entries
2. Adding images
3. Setting the theme
Configure the background, foreground, and other colors within your apps here.
4. Defining the offer schedule
This option is only displayed for asset types that are offerable. Generally speaking, custom assets can't be offered in the same way as most ingested assets. To learn more about offerable content, read our article about deals.
5. Specifying Related assets
Note: The recommended related asset limit is 100. While there are valid use cases for high volumes of related assets, the recommended approach is to organize assets into a layered hierarchy, e.g., date or year ranges, rounds, etc.)
1. Select an option, e.g. Other or Similar. The options will vary depending on asset type.
2. To add a new asset, start typing into the text field to display existing assets.
Related assets display in a list.
Use the icon to re-order assets.
Saving your custom asset
- Not offerable
For assets that are not offerable (applies to most custom assets) click the button to save changes.
Alternatively, click the More button to Save or Delete assets.
For assets that are offerable, click the button to save and activate offers.
Alternatively, click the More button to Save, Validate or Delete assets.