Learn how to upload images for both assets and links.*
This article explains how to upload and manage images for assets, links, lists, and channels.
We cover the following topics here:
- Uploading new images
- Cropping and adjusting your images
- Resolution warnings
- Changing the active image
- Viewing and managing your images
- Adding image language options
- Related articles
Minimum version requirements: Multi-language image settings are available from AXIS 9.7 onwards.
Uploading new images
Images are at the heart of users' interaction with your apps and are also key to content discovery. In AXIS you can add images in a variety of formats for your assets, channels, links, and lists.
The upload process is similar for each of the content types. To get started, navigate to the relevant location in Presentation Manager:
- To add images to an asset, channel, or link, go to the Assets menu and then select either Items, Channels, or Links, as required.
- To add images to a list, go to the Display menu, find the list, and then select Images in the left-hand navigation menu.
Search for and select the content that you want to add an image to, then select Images in the left-hand navigation menu.
To add an image:
- Either select the link in the top right-hand side, or select a pre-defined size template from the options provided on the page – the options will vary depending on the content type. Hover over a template to see the image dimensions.
2. Drag and drop your image file into the Add Images pane, or select to open your computer's file explorer and navigate to the image you want to upload.
- The maximum image upload size is 10MB. The maximum dimensions are 3840x2160 pixels (4K).
- The following formats are supported: .jpeg, .png, .bmp, .tiff
- To avoid bandwidth issues, for general imagery, we recommend .jpeg files (unless your Reference Apps display .png images), and for baked text or logos, we recommend .png files
Once uploaded, your selected image is displayed in the preview area. AXIS detects the image size and automatically selects the appropriate image type (or makes a best guess based on the ratio of the uploaded image). A green dashed outline is visible around the outer edge of the image. This represents the bounding box of the pre-selected image type.
Cropping and adjusting your image
Changing the selected image type will usually result in your image being cropped.
If you need to change the pre-selected option, use the dropdown to select a different size template, then reposition your image as needed.
The lighter portion of the image represents the area within the selected image dimensions, while the darker area will be cropped when you upload.
If choosing an image size template results in a warning icon, it means the uploaded image doesn't conform to the original image template. Uploading the image will reduce its quality as it won't be the best resolution for the selected image size, and will result in a poor quality image in your apps.
To add more images, drag and drop or select the link.
When you're happy with your uploaded images, save your changes by selecting the button.
If you select Cancel instead, the image is not uploaded and is deleted from the system.
Changing the active image
What is an active image?
The left-most image of any type is flagged as the active image. Indicated by the icon. If you only have one image of a type (say, 2:3 Poster) uploaded, it will be the active image by default. If you have more than one then the left-most image – usually the first one uploaded – will be active and will be the one retrieved and displayed in users' apps.
Can I change the active image?
Yes, you can select a different active image if you have more than one of the same type uploaded. To do this:
- Hover over the image you want to activate and check the icon
- The selected image is now the active image of that type
- The image order changes and the previous active image is now on the right.
Viewing and managing your images
The image gallery displays all the images you've saved for the item. From here you can activate, view, crop, and delete your images.
To zoom in for a full-screen view of your image, hover over the image and click on the icon. This opens the image in a new browser tab.
To delete an image, hover over the image and click on the icon, then Confirm in the confirmation window.
When you've finished uploading or managing images, remember to save and update to apply your changes.
Adding image language options
New images that you upload are automatically set as the default for all users, but from AXIS 9.7, you have the ability to show users different images depending on their language settings or location. This is particularly useful where you have images that incorporate text in different languages, or where there are specific regional requirements for the images displayed in user's apps.
You create image language options by setting up a separate image tab for each language you want to add.
To do this, click on the next to the Default tab and select a language from the list.
A new image tab page is created, labeled with the selected language, and you can proceed to upload images for this language option following the steps described earlier in this article. When the content is published, users will be shown the image that corresponds to the language setting in their app.
If you decide you no longer need the additional language options for your images, they can easily be removed. This works in the same way as for other types of variants. Simply click the arrow on the tab, and select Delete. This deletes the language option and all the images it contains.
The Default tab can't be deleted.
Note: The tab is removed if you create a new language tab and don't upload any images to it before saving the page.