Looking to add new links and edit existing links? This article shows you how.*
This article covers link assets, adding new and editing existing link assets.
Topics covered here:
- What are link assets?
- Where do I find link assets?
- How do I create a new link asset?
- Recording link information
What are link assets?
Links in Presentation Manager are asset types in their own right. They enable operators to schedule link assets to take users to internal areas of the app or an external site. Link assets can have a destination of either an asset, list, page, or external URL. When your end-users select the linked asset within their app, they're redirected to the specified destination. The example in the screenshot below shows a menu item linked to a list.
For further examples of link assets, see our article about block links.
An alternative use case may be a seasonal theme required for specific content. Use link assets to upload new asset imagery, then link to the relevant pre-existing asset.
Where do I find link assets?
To find previously ingested and custom link assets, navigate to ASSETS → Links.
Links are displayed in a table (see below). This is your link asset catalog. Sort your catalog by Title, Destination, Destination Path, Date Modified, or Date Created.
You'll probably have many links in your catalog, which is why Presentation Manager has an extensive catalog search function that lets you quickly find the one you want.
Search for existing link assets by status and/or title/ID. Any link assets matching the search criteria display in the table.
Learn more about searching the asset catalog.
When viewing or editing a link asset, key information about the link is displayed at the top of the page:
|Key||Control||What it means|
|Link thumbnail||The image you see here is typically ingested, however, you can upload images manually into Presentation Manager. Follow the link for further information on how to upload images.|
|Link title||This is the name of the link.|
|Status||This flag is dependent on whether the offers set at ingestion are approved and active. The status can also be Validated and Offered directly within Presentation Manager.|
|Link ID||This is a unique ID in AXIS Presentation Manager, useful for searching.|
|Last modified information||Here you can find out who edited the link last and when.|
How do I create a new link asset?
Links are created in the same way whether the destination is assets, lists, pages, or an external URL.
- Navigate to the Links asset catalog (ASSETS → Links).
2. To create a new link, click the button at the top right-hand side of the screen.
3. Enter information into the required fields:
- Title: Specify the name of the link
- Destination: Select either; Item, List, Page, or External URL
- Select list: Choose the Item, List, or Page you wish to link to. If your destination is an external URL, put the URL address here.
4. Select the button to save the link asset.
- All information entered into the New Link fields can be edited at a later stage.
- A screen reader reads link titles if accessibility tools are in use.
Recording link information
Once you've created your link, you'll need to input or edit information such as metadata and images. On the left-hand side of the page, select a section to display relevant fields in the page body.
1. Adding language variants and metadata
When you select a link from the catalog, it opens in the metadata tab. The title you entered when creating the link is pre-populated but can be edited.
You can create additional language variants for your links so they display in different languages.
|To create a new language variant, select the button next to the variant tabs.|
Follow the link for more information about variants.
With the required variant selected, enter data into the relevant fields or edit existing data:
- Title (mandatory): This field is pre-populated from link creation; however, the title is editable.
- Destination (mandatory): The destination selected when creating the link is shown here. Specify or change your destination to one of the following: Page (default), Item, List, or External URL.
- Select Destination: The Select field is populated with content specified on link creation and is context-sensitive depending on the selected destination. Specify or change your destination details here.
Note: From AXIS 9.4 the destination path you enter here is converted to a hyperlink, allowing you to easily navigate to the page, list, or asset to review or validate the link.
Applying segmentation Tags
Target your links at specific groups based on age, activity, behavioral analytics, etc. Depending on how you've grouped your users, you can easily direct content to them. Read more about applying segmentation tags.
2. Adding link images
Add new or edit pre-existing link images that display throughout your apps.
Any images you add must correspond to the row image type. For example, if you want to apply a T1 standard tile row type, you'll need to update links with 16:9 images.
Learn more about the process of uploading and activating and managing images.
Note: Images need to be in JPEG or PNG format.
3. Adding notes to a link
From AXIS 9.5 we've added a notes feature to links and lists. Now when you create or edit a link, you can choose to add an internal note – for example, to provide some context around the purpose of the link for other members of your editorial team.
To add a note:
- From the link catalog, click on the link you want to add a note to.
- The Note icon is found on the top right-hand side of the page.
- Click on the icon to open the Notes panel, which slide out from the right-hand side of the page.
- Type your note, then click Save Notes.
- The notes are saved. You can click on the x to close the panel.
You can add more notes to the link at any time, or edit existing notes – simply open the Notes panel, make your changes, and re-save. Saved notes show the name of the person who added them and a timestamp. If the link is deleted, any associated notes are also deleted.
Note: You don't need to specifically publish a link – this happens automatically when you complete the link creation stage. However, any updates you make to the metadata or images will require manual publishing.
- Creating block links
- Search asset catalog
- Uploading images
- Variants and segmentation
- Applying segmentation tags
- Activate and manage images