Learn how create and search for existing segmentation tags throughout AXIS.*
This article covers segmentation tags and applying parameters within various areas of Presentation Manager.
Use the links below to jump straight to a specific section:
- What are segmentation tags
- How do I apply segmentation tags?
- Segmentation tag states
- How do I add a new segmentation tag?
- How do I remove selected segmentation tags?
- Publishing and implementing your changes
Minimum version requirements: Some of the features described here, including the ability to view the state of a selected tag, and the notification when publishing tags that aren't live, require AXIS 9.3 to be installed.
What are segmentation tags?
Segmentation tags allow you to target content at specific groups of users, based, for example, on age, activity, behavioral analytics, or other shared characteristics that you identify. Create a tag for a sub-group, apply it to a row and easily direct the content of the row to that particular group, or segment, of users.
The initial setup of segmentation tags is done within the Admin area of Presentation Manager. Read more about this process in our article on how to create and manage segmentation tags.
You can apply segmentation tags in any of the following areas of Presentation Manager:
- Page, row, and menu variants
- Subscription offer templates
How do I apply a segmentation tag?
Where the field is displayed, click on Any Segmentation Tag. This opens the list of available tags for you to choose from, as well as giving you the option to create new tags.
The ANY/ALL toggle
The button on the right-hand side of the segmentation tag selector allows you to determine how your tags should apply. This functionality was updated to a dropdown selector in AXIS 9.7.
If you've picked multiple tags, you can specify whether users need to match all of the selected tags, or at least one or more of the selected tags in order to see the targeted content.
- Match all: In this example, a user needs to fall into the 18 to 24 age bracket and meet the snacker criteria (as defined for this tag) to see the content.
- Match any: Here, users aged 18 to 24 and users meeting the snacker criteria, plus any users who fall into both categories, will see the targeted content.
By default, this is set to ANY. Simply click the button to change the selection.
Browse simple/group tag view
Existing segmentation tags can be displayed in two views:
- Simple flattens all tags into one alphabetical list
- Group view shows tags in their categories, as defined upon creation
Click browse simple or browse by group to toggle between the views.
To apply a segmentation tag, simply select it from the list.
Segmentation tag states
The segmentation tags that you see for selection are live - in other words, they haven't been archived and don't have errors - so can be applied immediately to your content. However, it's possible for a tag to be archived after you've applied it. If this happens, you'll be able to see this from how the tag appears in the selector, so you can decide what action to take.
The image below shows you how tags appear differently, depending on their state.
In the example below, both of the selected tags are live. They'll be applied to the relevant content when you publish or update the page or other elements.
In this second example, the 25 to 34 segmentation tag has been archived. This means that the intended segmentation won't be applied to this user group, and in this scenario, any content will be available to all age ranges. Only the live Active segmentation tag will be applied.
The options, in this case, will be to remove or replace the tag or, alternatively, unarchive it. See also publishing and implementing your changes, below.
Note: visibility of tag states in the selector was introduced as part of AXIS 9.3.
How do I add a new segmentation tag?
Can't find a specific tag, or need to create one? Not a problem: select New tag to get started.
Enter new segmentation tag details
- Enter information into the required fields to create your tag.
- Title (mandatory): Give your segmentation tag a unique name
- Group (mandatory): Select group from options provided; this helps you to categorize your tags
- External ID (mandatory): Enter a unique ID for your tag. This field must contain lowercase a-z, 0-9 and _. (Note: from AXIS 9.3 onwards, External ID can consist of any visible ASCII character)
- Description (optional): Describe your segmentation tag here
2. Click the button to save your tag.
How do I remove selected segmentation tags?
Segmentation tags that are already applied, are listed at the top of the window. Note that these tags remain in the list below in strikethrough text.
Select the "x" next to a tag to remove the selection.
Publishing and implementing your changes
Once you've created your tag, to start actively targeting your content you'll need to publish or update the page, plan, or other elements that you've applied it to.
Hit , (or Save and Update, depending on where in Presentation Manager you've applied the tags) to publish your changes.
Note: If you try to update or publish something that has a tag applied to it that isn't live, you'll see a warning message like the one below.
You can decide to either remove it or unarchive it to make it live before you publish. If you proceed to publish, note that the intended segment targeting won't take place.