Want to understand user roles and permissions within Presentation Manager? Click here.*
This article deals with setting up and managing Presentation Manager users. For information relating to end-user management, see our article on user groups.
Topics covered here:
- Presentation Manager roles
- How do I view existing users?
- How do I create a new user?
- How do I edit an existing user?
Presentation Manager roles
There are three role types in Presentation Manager: Administrator, Manager, and User. By default, the only difference between the roles is that the ADMIN menu item in the top navigation is only visible to administrators.
Presentation Manager supports role-based access control (RBAC), which means you can set granular permission levels per role and environment according to your specific requirements. The permissions assigned to each role will usually be configured by top-level wizards during initial setup, and can then be copied between environments.
You must have administrator permissions to create new or edit existing users.
How do I view existing users?
To view all users and their roles, navigate to the ADMIN menu, then, with User Groups highlighted in the left hand navigation, select Users.
The catalog of users is divided into two tabs, Active and Archived.
Active is selected by default, and lists all users who have been set up in Presentation Manager – whether or not they've activated their account by logging in for the first time.
The Archived tab shows users whose accounts have been archived – again, regardless of activation status.
In both tabs, the profile information for users who haven't activated their account appears greyed out.
Click on a column header to sort the catalog by that column: First Name, Last Name, Email, Role, Date Created, or Last Active.
To search for a specific user, start typing their email address into the search field on the right. As you type characters into the field, the list of users is filtered to show matching records.
How do I create a new user?
- Select the button from the top right-hand-side of the screen.
- Enter the user's details into the fields provided. All fields are mandatory.
All fields are mandatory.
- First name: Enter the user's first name.
- Last name: Enter the user's last name.
- Email address: This is where the account activation details will be sent.
- Role: Select the appropriate role for the new user.
3. To save, select the button. This triggers the sending of an invitation email to the newly-created user, to create a password and sign in
Until they've signed for the first time, the new user's account has a status of and they'll appear greyed-out in the Active tab.
The invitation email expires if it isn't used within 24 hours. If the new user hasn't activated their account within this time, you'll need to re-invite them so they receive an updated link. To do this, find the user in the catalog, and select the dropdown menu on the right.
Select Reinvite user. This will send a new invitation email to the user so they can activate their account.
Users whose accounts are pending cannot log in until they've accepted the invitation and set their password. At that point, their account becomes active.
How do I edit an existing user?
To modify an existing user, hover over the relevant account and select the dropdown menu on the right, which provides View Profile and Archive User options. Select View Profile to view and modify an existing user's details.
Alternatively, you can simply click on the user's email address to open the user Details page.
Modify profile details
Make the required changes in the Details page. All fields except for Email address can be edited here.
Once you make changes to any field, the Save button is activated. Click to save your changes.
Note: If a user is logged in while their role is being changed, they'll have to sign out and sign in again to see the changes. Admin users cannot modify their own role.
Archiving and unarchiving users
Archiving a user
If a user no longer requires access to Presentation Manager, you can archive their account. This disables their access so they can no longer log in, while retaining their work history.
- In the catalog, highlight the user you want to archive and select Archive User from the dropdown.
- You can also archive a user from View Profile → Details, by clicking on the button on the top right-hand side.
- A confirmation message is displayed. Select Confirm to complete the archive process for the selected user. Otherwise, click Cancel.
Note: Archived users are moved from the Active to the Archived tab and will no longer be able to log into Presentation Manager.
Unarchiving a user
Find archived users under the Archived tab within the user catalog.
To unarchive a user:
- Hover over the required user and open the dropdown menu.
- Select Unarchive User.
- You can also click on their email address to go to the Details page and select the button on the top right-hand side.
- As with the archive process above, you'll be asked to confirm that you want to unarchive the user. Select Confirm to complete the process.
Once a user is unarchived, they'll appear in the Active tab and will be able to use their existing account details to log into Presentation Manager.